I am a total perfume junkie. Beyond anything else I buy for myself skin care/cosmetics wise, fragrance is the one thing I can rarely resist accumulating. So many special or important moments in my life are punctuated by what I perfume I wore and just catching the merest hint of the scent can take me out. These are my 15 favourites (though it was very tough to narrow it down)…
1. Gucci Rush – My all time favourite and what I’d consider to be my signature scent. There’s not a thing in the world like it or could be mistaken for it. I first smelled it on a magazine strip in 1998 and thought it was incredible. I’ve been wearing it ever since, however it definitely one for night time only as it’s pretty loud and in your face,
2. YSL Nu EDP and EDT – Sadly long discontinued, Nu is to YSL what Rush is to Gucci. Both scents were created by Tom Ford during his time at the fashion houses and they are so undeniably sexy. The EDP and EDT are quite different, mostly because the EDP is so immensely powerful. The scents are woody and spicy d dark and intense. They certainly aren’t to everyone’s taste but I hold on to my bottles like they are worth their weight in gold.
3. Kate Walsh Boyfriend – I bought this in NYC in 2011 and it always makes me think of the city. Boyfriend is meant to capture a woman’s fragrance blending with her boyfriend’s, so it’s kind of masculine but also warm and sweet. I absolutely love it, though unfortunately I think it’s been discontinued. I find it perfect for cold weather weekends.
4. Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude – Hey! Another great discontinued perfume! Another great Tom Ford fragrance! If you’ve ever smelled the original Youth Dew you’d realise it smelled like nannas. This smells nothing like nannas. It’s powdery, warm, woody and amber-ish and incredibly sexy in an upmarket, expensive way. I bought a giant bottle from StrawberryNet a while back and am holding on for dear life.
5. Robert Piguet Visa – The only fragrance I ever associated Robert Piguet with was Fracas, which was too immensely floral for me. When I discovered all the other scents in the range Visa was the one that blew me away. It smells like an extremely chic secret agent, all classic trench coat and red lips. Again, it’s warm and spicy but there’s an overripe alcoholic fruit note to it that turns it into something else totally amazing.
6. L’Artisan Parfumeur Traversee du Bosphore – I bought this blind after reading a review on a blog and thinking it wold totally be right up my alley. The Bosphorus is the straight that intersects Istanbul and is considered to divide Europe and Asia. This perfume smells like Turkish Delight and leather and is incredible. I loved it from the second I smelled it, it’s something magical like an Arabian princess would wear.
7. Agent Provocateur – I’ve already raved about this recently so I won’t go on except to say it’s a powdery, rosy sexy cloud of a fragrance that more people should wear.
8. Chanel Coromandel – I nearly died from excitement when I had a stop over in Qatar en route to Europe last year and the Chanel in duty free stocked all the Les Exclusifs scents. I must have spent good 20 minutes there sniffing them all and trying to find the one for me. Coromandel smelled like me straight away – a spicy, smoky, woody patchouli scent. I tried to get some of the others to fit because I wanted something different before realising that sticking to what I love best is always the right idea.
9. Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess – Nothing, but nothing, smells better for a tropical summer holiday that this coconut filled gem. It’s the bar by which all other warm weather scents are measured and I challenge anyone not to like it.
10. Kim Kardashian – One of the most underrated celeb fragrances out there and has long been my fall back fragrance for dinners or drinks out. It’s a rich lovely floral and no matter how you regard the celebrity herself, it’s well worth a try. I don’t even like florals and I love this.
11. DKNY Be Delicious Night – I’ve owned a few of the Be Delicious apple scented fragrances over the years and all of them are pretty nice. However the Night version is my absolute favourite as it smells like ginger beer in the best way possible.
12. J.Lo Miami Glow – This is a very close second behind Bronze Goddess for being the best summer scent of all time. However if BG is a beautiful chic resort in the Maldives, then Miami Glow is cocktails by the pool on spring break. It’s so trashy and fruity but delightfully so and reminds me of the first summer after I moved to Melbourne.
13. Dolce and Gabbana Sicily – Another summer favourite and another discontinued fragrance. It was a soapy floral but something about it was just perfect for warm weather. I don’t tend to love florals but this was a stand out for me. if you ever see it, buy it.
14. Estee Lauder Sensuous – I own all three versions of Sensuous (original, nude and noir) and they’re all fantastic, however this remains my favourite. It’s also the first Estee fragrance I really loved because up until this beautiful sandalwood thing they were all too floral for me. I love that it’s so versatile and can go from day to night, plus it wears close to skin in the sexiest way.
15. Chopard Casmir – When I was in high school I was obsessed with the Body Shop’s vanilla oil. It always smelled so warm and incredibly delicious; to this day it’s probably the fragrance I have owned that incited more positive comments from complete strangers than any other. Casmir is the grown up’s version of that vanilla oil or the Coty Vanilla Fields fragrance you might have worn when you were younger. It’s completely vanilla but not in a childish way and the spiciness to it gives it an extra kick.