1. PRELIM BABY, PRELIM. Beyond excited that my beloved Port Adelaide has made it so far in this finals series, their first time in a preliminary final since 2007. I was at that game (v North Melbourne at AAMI Park in Adelaide) and at the start of this year’s finals I changed my Facebook profile pic to a blurry selfie I took on the night. There’s your good luck charm right there.
2. Even more exciting was the phone call I received from a good friend early on Monday morning. I don’t have a membership this year so I was resigned to waiting until 2pm with the rest of the plebs to try and get a seat in the nosebleed section of the G where I would likely be alone and surrounded by Hawthorn supporters. Instead she invited me to a corporate function with a three-course meal, drinks and excellent seats, plus her wonderful company. I’m even more excited now if that was even possible.
3. Less exciting was the incredibly awkward wait through the week to see if Port would beat Freo to get through and what time the AFL would schedule the prelim. It was locked in for Saturday (Sydney get Friday night as they finished minor premiers) but a time wasn’t decided upon. I knew it would likely be earlier as both possible opponents for the Hawks were interstate teams that would want to fly back home after the game. The reason I was so worried is that a couple of months ago Julia and I booked tickets to see Sara Bareilles, which I had been really looking forward to. I knew it was footy finals time but the reality was it would only be about a one per cent chance my team would be playing on that night. Hello one per cent. The AFL confirmed the ridiculous time of 4.45pm for the final but luckily that will still give me time to get to the 9pm start at the concert.
4. One of my best friends and colleagues is a fanatical Hawks supporter and we’re devastated that I’m on secondment while our teams prepare to play each other in such a big game. It’s been text messages and Facebook comments and emails and memes at 20 paces though.
5. Port Adelaide v Hawthorn is really the battle of the hot captains. I’ll be the meat in a Travis Boak/Luke Hodge sandwich any day of the week.
6. Speaking of Boak, so very proud to see him and Robbie Gray make the All Australian team this week. Very much deserved.
7. Very happy to see Sydney make it last night and do such a number on North. They look pretty ominous and I have a feeling regardless of my game today, it could be year of the Swan.
8. Boomer Harvey is an absolute grub and always has been. Deserved the week and the MRP are kidding themselves.
9. Joel Selwood dressed as Jake King for the Cats’ Wacky Wednesday was utterly hilarious, especially when King dropped him off on a motorcycle.
10. I’ve discovered Titus O’Reily in the past couple of weeks and I don’t know how I lived without it. His sports satire blog and Twitter account are utterly hilarious.
11. Finally, for anyone feeling overwhelmed by the amount of football commentary and retweeting on my Twitter account over the past couple of weeks, rest assured the season is only a week from being over. I’ll calm down then.
12. Also for those reading this and thinking I have very little going on in my life at the moment, you would be wrong! In the next week I finish my three-month secondment and then head overseas for five weeks. Clearly though, football is the priority.